While being a stay-at-home mom has its own kind of freedom, which I value and enjoy, it is also a position that completely exhausts my mind and body. Why is it that I had more energy after an 8 hour day at the office than I now have at home by lunchtime? Part of it is because it takes a huge amount of mental energy to hear all those voices all over the house all day long, while still tuning in to what they are saying and processing how you can appropriately respond or solve the problem at hand. Part of it is because running on three bites of cold dinner isn’t exactly a balanced diet, and part of it is that the weekend is no more relaxing than the middle of the week. Most of it, though, is because loving the people in our lives requires more continuous pouring out of ourselves and all our resources than making money at any job. We simply have a lot of heart and a lot of hope that we are gladly and lovingly handing out by the bucket loads all day, every day. Whether you are with y...
Several times on the road, while texting or checking a map or viewing an email, I have noticed how gradually irresponsible I have become about using my phone while driving. It's also frightening how invincible I feel while doing it. I have known that I needed to be more careful, but I just pushed away the idea that I could be in an accident and kill my own children or someone else or myself. That wasn't very likely to happen, right? So, I continued being, well, stupid. About two weeks ago, out of the clear blue I suddenly felt like the Lord was speaking to me. Plain as day and as unexpected as snow in July, I had the thought, "Don't be busy on your phone while you're driving." I knew it was the Holy Spirit. Don't worry. This photo was made while the car was sitting still. Ha! :) While this prompting from the Lord to not be distracted on my phone while driving was surprising at that moment, I immediately felt the importance of it, and I thanked Go...
Encouragement. We love to get it. But how are we about giving it? We often wait for a holiday or a crisis or even death before we bring encouragement and thoughtfulness to others' lives. We also overlook the people who seem to be "doing good" and assume that they don't need encouragement. This week, let's throw those mentalities out the window and focus on being an encouragement right now to people who won't be expecting it. I would like to challenge you to take a few minutes each day for one week to encourage people in your life. Think of this walk-through as an exercise that will bless you and benefit many people whom you care about. Are you with me? Let's surprise some people with some encouragement! "I thank my God every time I remember you." - Philippians 1:3 Day 1: Today, think of someone who you have been intending to drop a line for a while, but just haven't gotten around to it. Go ahead and do it today. Day 2: Choose a person...
so sweet!
ReplyDeleteAwww - so sweet! We miss you guys...I mean, it's been a whole week since we've had a playdate!
ReplyDelete